Day #11 of our WHOLE30 Journey. And according to the authors of It Starts with Food and the WHOLE30 official timeline, these are the hardest of our 30 days. Here’s hoping that holds true for me. I’m really tired, unnervingly cranky and surprisingly hungry, like all the time.
Interestingly, I’ve become extremely fond of all things coconut these days. I’m chalking this up as progress, since the Hartwigs and others (see this article for example) rate coconut oil as one of the healthiest fats for consumption, especially for dieters and those looking to improve their skin (see chapter 15 of It Starts with Food). Um, rich yummy taste and prettier skin? Yes please!
So tonight’s dinner features coconut in each dish. The menu:
Mango Tango Chicken (recipe below)
Crispy Roasted Green Beans (also pictured below)
Toss Salads with Fruit & Nuts
Birthday Date Treats for dessert
•1 (2.5 lb.) bag frozen chicken tenderloins, (e.g. Tyson)
•1 tsp. salt
•1/4 cup unsweetened dried mango slices, crumbled
•1 sweet red pepper, seeded, diced
•1 sweet onion (e.g. Vidalia), peeled and diced
•1/4 tsp. hot sauce
•1/4 tsp. garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, crushed
•1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
•1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
•1/4 cup lime juice
•2 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit).
2. Lightly oil a 9X13″ baking pan with coconut oil and add tenderloins to pan in a single layer.
3. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt.
4. Top with mango, onion and pepper. Then evenly sprinkle on additional seasonings.
5. Stir together pineapple and lime juices then pour over all.
6. Finally, sprinkle the top of chicken mixture with coconut flakes. Then cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
7. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes or until internal temperature reach 170 degrees.
8. Remove foil and turn oven to BROIL. Return pan to oven and broil for about 5 minutes or until nicely browned.
NOTE: This step is optional but makes for a nicer presentation.
9. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
I served with Crispy Roasted Green Beans, that roasted in the oven along side the chicken.
Wisdom of the Day:
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
~Psalm 23:5-6 (English Standard Version)
Read more here.
Recommended Resource of the Day:
21 Unexpected Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil