Grain-free Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookie Bars
This recipe evolved out of my 2016 New Year’s resolution to decrease our consumption of processed grains, flour and sugar. But just because I’m trying to eat healthier carbs does NOT mean I’m willing to stop eating cookies! I strongly recommend you check out the brilliant recipe blog Chocolate Covered Katie . Katie’s recipes are fun and delicious. Her Sugar Free Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie inspired this recipe.
1/2 pitted dates
2/3 cup dried plums
2 cans organic garbanzo beans (about 3 cups), drained and rinsed very well
6 oz. unsweetened coconut flakes (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (preferably organic)
4 tsp. Stevia in the Raw (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup good quality miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (at least 70% chocolate)
1. Begin by placing dates and dried plums in a bowl and covering with filtered water. Soak for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9X13″ pan with nonstick spray (I like nonstick coconut oil spray)
3. Drain water from dried fruits but reserve at least 2 Tbsp. of soaking liquid. Drain garbanzo beans and rinse very well.
4. Place soaked fruits, beans, applesauce, egg whites and 2 Tbsp. soaking liquid in food processor. Pulse on low speed until roughly smooth and combined.
5. Add the next 4 ingredients and process again on low until very smooth.
6. Scoop the mixture into prepared pan then sprinkle the chocolate chips over top the mixture. Gentle stir to spread the ships throughout the batter. Spread the
batter evening throughout pan and place in middle of preheated oven.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are browned and middle is set. Allow to cool before cutting.
(per bar, 1/20 recipe)
Calories: 136 calories
Fat: 5 grams fat
Fiber: 3.7 grams fiber
Digestible Carbs: 17.6 grams
Sodium: 263 mg. sodium
Protein: 4.24 grams protein
Fat: 100.8 grams
Fiber: 73.4 grams
Digestible Carbs: 351.5 grams
Sodium: 5,261.8 mg
Protein: 84.7 grams